Research has shown that pets are great for kids! Just the presence of a pet can lift your spirits and help you relax. Whether it’s a cat, dog, rabbit or guinea pig, they have been shown to be effective playmates or companions to children, providing a sense of belonging, comfort and early experiences of responsibility. Even social isolation, stress and anxiety can be improved by owning a pet. And the author of today’s Storytime book, Paul Crumble, just happens to love cats! In fact, his favourite place to write is anywhere with a cat on his lap. I hope you enjoys today’s online story, The Cat Wants Cuddles.
My daughter’s cat, Brizzy.
Cat Songs and Rhymes
There are some well known nursery rhymes and songs about cats. Here are some on video for you to enjoy.
Three Little Kittens
Pussy Cat, Pussy Cat
Virtual Cat Show
My daughter loves cats. Her cat Brizzy is a Munchkin crossed with an American Curl. Before she got Brizzy she liked to look at the cats being showcased at the Perth Royal Show. If you are a cat lover, why don’t you share a photo of your cat or kitten on the Cockburn Libraries Facebook page for a chance to win! Please include your cat’s name and see below for competition terms and conditions.
Brizzy as a kitten
Ready to pounce!
Happy on the bed
Did you Know?
Pets are such a positive influence on our lives that one study found that Australian ownership of cats and dogs saved approximately $3.86 billion in health expenditure over one year. View or download the physical and psychological health benefits of pet ownership from the RSPCA Knowledgebase.
Terms and conditions – Virtual cat show competition
- Competition entries may be submitted via the Cockburn Libraries Facebook page between Friday 29 May and Sunday 21 June at 11.59pm. Voting on the Facebook page will end on Monday 29 June at 11.59pm. The winner will be announced on Tuesday 30 June.
- The competition is open to members and Facebook followers of Cockburn Libraries.
- The photo entry with the most Facebook likes will receive a $50 gift voucher.
- Winners under 16 years of age must have the permission of their parent/carer/guardian.
- Entries are limited to one submission per person.
- All incorrect entries will be immediately disqualified.
- Any questions regarding this competition can be made by contacting the Marketing and Customer Service Lead on 9411 3840.
- The winner will be notified by phone. It is the winner’s responsibility to collect their prize within two weeks of prize draw.
- Should the winner not be able to be contacted after two weeks from the draw, a new winner will be selected and no negotiation will be entered into at any time.
- Judges decision is final and no negotiation will be entered into at any time throughout this competition.
- Cockburn Libraries reserves the right to defer, cancel, or disqualify any entrant, winner, or attendee of the competition as it sees fit and without reason or notice.
- The winner must consent to have their photo taken and published in any City of Cockburn publication and/or Community Newspaper or associated website.
- Employees of the City of Cockburn and immediate families are ineligible to enter.
- The prizes must be taken as supplied and cannot be exchanged or redeemed for cash. Any ancillary costs associated with redeeming the prizes shall be the sole responsibility of the prize winner(s).
Latest News for Kids
Keep up to date with the latest School Holiday Info, Storytime & Pram Jams News, Reviews and more!