Shredded Coconut Salad (Urap) – Celebratory Indonesian Food
- 100 gm shredded coconut
- 2 kaffir lime leaves finely cut
- Spice for the shredded coconut is grounded to form a paste and consists of 1 big red chilli, 2 garlic cloves, 1 tsp salt and 1 tsp sugar
- Cooked vegetables of your choice: green beans, cabbage, carrots, broccoli, bean sprouts, add raw mixed Asian salad to freshen the taste.
- Cooking oil
- Heat up 1 tbsp cooking oil, fry the paste of spice until full of fragrance or about 2 minutes on low heat
- Add the shredded coconut and kaffir lime leaves with half a glass of water
- Increase the heat to boil and then lower the heat to minimum, close the lid to keep the shredded coconut moist
- Cook until the water evaporates and the shredded coconut is soft or about 40 minutes
- Wait for the shredded coconut to cool before mixing it in with the vegetables
Urap is an Indonesian salad made from vegetables and shredded coconut and is available from street vendors all over Java. You can eat this salad alone or with a variety of crackers to create an interesting texture in the mouth.
This salad is made from blanched green beans, bean sprouts and cooked carrot, cabbage, and broccoli pieces or any vegetables to your liking. I usually add fresh raw Asian mix to my salad as it gives a kick of fresh flavour to the bowl. This goes nicely with the finely cut kaffir lime leaves. The key to the salad is the spiced shredded coconut.
The salad can be served as an accompaniment to Turmeric Rice (Nasi Kuning) when making a celebratory Indonesian meal.
Latest News for Adults
Keep up to date with the latest Reviews, Local History Info, Event Videos & Podcasts and more!