Nurses and midwives in the Library
The World Health Organisation has declared 2020 the Year of the Nurse and the Midwife. In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, there’s never been a better time to recognise these front-line workers. Let’s thank them in as many ways as we can while they put themselves in harm’s way for all of us, every time they go to work.
But did you know your Library holds many books and films that feature these very important people? Not only print items, but also many eBooks, eAudiobooks and videos, all of which you can access from home.
Reading about or watching characters who embody the selfless and caring attributes of nurses and midwives is a good way to remind ourselves of the challenges they face and overcome every day.
Search our Catalogue
Use the search field at the top of this webpage, enter keywords nurses or midwives, then refine your list of results by selecting eBooks, eAudiobooks or DVDs and streaming movies in the drop-down box on the right.
NOTE: You can find many more items in your Library Catalogue. Reserve a print item to collect, or access our eBooks, eAudiobooks and videos which are available anytime.
Here are just a few suggestions of titles for you to try searching:
Adult Fiction eBooks:
- The lieutenant’s nurse / Sara Ackerman
- The desert nurse / Pamela Hart
- The nurses of Steeple Street / Donna Douglas
- The nurse’s one night to forever / Janice Lynn
- Nightingale / Marina Kemp
- Bush nurses / Annabelle Brayley
- A casualty of war / Charles Todd
Adult Non-Fiction eBooks:
- The nurses : A year of secrets, drama, and miracles with the heroes of the hospital / Alexandra Robbins
- The language of kindness: A nurse’s story / Christie Watson
- The other Anzacs : Nurses at war 1914-1918 / Peter Rees
- One woman’s war and peace : A nurse’s journey in the Royal Australian Air Force / Sharon Bown
- Mama Jude : An Australian nurse’s extraordinary other life in Africa / Michael Sexton
- Witches, midwives, and nurses : A history of women healers / Barbara Ehrenreich
- Rush to danger : Medics in the line of fire / Ted
- In love and war : Nursing heroes / Liz Byrski
Latest News for Adults
Keep up to date with the latest Reviews, Local History Info, Event Videos & Podcasts and more!