Refugee Week is an annual event which promotes positive images of refugees and celebrates the valuable contribution refugees make to Australian society. Our ultimate aim is to facilitate better understanding between different communities and encourage successful integration, enabling refugees to live in safety and to continue making a valuable contribution to Australia.
Sandra Bartlett presented Asylum Seekers – the human reality in an effort to answer some of the questions and dispel some of the myths behind the complex and divisive issue of asylum seekers and refugees. Sandra Bartlett has been a a caseworker for asylum seekers living in Perth and she has carried out extensive academic research into the plight of those seeking asylum.
Further reading? Try these books:
- The people smuggler / Robin De Crespigny
- The undesirables / Mark Isaacs
- Confessions of a people smuggler/ Dawood Amiri
- Human rights overboard / Linda Briskman, Susie Latham and Chris Latham
- A country too far / Thomas Keneally and Rosie Scott
- Walking free / Munjed Al Muderis with Patrick Weaver.
- The happiest refugee / Anh Do
- Boat people / Carina Hoang