Overdrive – free ebooks and digital audio books for library members.
Overdrive is one of two services that the library uses to provide ebooks and eAudiobooks to you. You can browse the collection, borrow with your library card, and enjoy on your computer, tablet, smartphone or eReader device. Most borrowed eBooks can be enjoyed immediately in your web browser with OverDrive Read. Or, you can download eBooks and transfer them to most eReaders (Note: Does NOT work on Kindles). Audiobooks can be downloaded into OverDrive Media Console. Once downloaded, titles can be enjoyed immediately or transferred to a variety of devices, including iPod® and many others. Some audio titles can also be burned to CD to listen on-the-go.
Users with smartphones or tablets can install the OverDrive app to directly download EPUB eBooks and MP3 audiobooks titles to their device. No matter how you plan to enjoy, titles will automatically expire at the end of the lending period. There are no late fees!
With hundreds of popular fiction and non-fiction titles to choose from,this new collection is guaranteed to have something for everyone. You can enjoy best-selling novels, well-known classics, self-improvement guides, and much more all on your own time, wherever you may be.See the Getting started – On tablets & smartphones or Getting started – On computers, eReaders, and MP3 players instructions below or check Overdrive Online Help for more tutorials.
Remember! Cockburn Libraries also provides ebooks and eAudiobooks through another service, Borrowbox. Different books are available on each service so install apps for both Overdrive and Borrowbox to get access to all our digital titles. All ebooks and all digital audio books are also listed in the library catalogue.
Getting started – On tablets & smartphones
- Install the free OverDrive app from your app store or from app.overdrive.com.Available for iPhone®, iPad®, Android, Chromebook, Windows Phone, Windows 8 & 10.
- Open the OverDrive app and follow the prompts to sign in or sign up for a free OverDrive account.
If you’re under 13, select I am under 13 years old instead. (NOTE: You won’t see these prompts on Windows Phone or in older versions of the OverDrive app. In those cases, skip this step and move on to step 3.)
- Use the app’s Add a Library (or Get Books) feature to find and save the library’s OverDrive website.
- Log into the library’s OverDrive website with your library card number & PIN to see all the titles available. Tap or move your mouse over an available title, then select Borrow.
- Once you’ve borrowed a title, you’ll have several options for what to do with it. You can: • Download EPUB eBooks* and MP3 audiobooks to the OverDrive app. • Read most eBooks in your browser without downloading them. • Listen to audiobooks in your browser without downloading them (on some devices). *NOTE: If you’re using Windows Phone or an older version of the OverDrive app, you’ll need to authorize your device with an Adobe ID to download EPUB eBooks. It’s a one-time, free process that takes just moments to complete
Getting started – On computers, eReaders, and MP3 players
- On your Windows or Mac computer, find the library’s OverDrive website
NOTE: If you have a Windows 8 computer or a Chromebook, you can install the OverDrive app and follow our tablet/smartphone instructions to borrow and enjoy digital titles through the app.
- Log into the library’s OverDrive website with your library card & PIN to see all the titles available. Once you find an available title, move your mouse over the title and click Borrow. Borrowed titles will appear on your Bookshelf under your Account.
- From your Bookshelf, you can click Read or Listen to start enjoying most eBooks and audiobooks in your browser.
- For most borrowed titles, you can choose a format to download. Once you choose a download format, any other downloadable format options for that title will disappear, but you’ll always have the option to Read or Listen to a title in your browser.
– To download EPUB or PDF eBooks to your Windows or Mac computer, install free Adobe Digital Editions (ADE) software and follow the prompts to authorize your computer with a free OverDrive account or Adobe ID. You can then Download borrowed eBooks and read them in ADE or use ADE to transfer them to supported eReaders.
– To download audiobooks to your Windows or Mac computer, install OverDrive’s free desktop app. You can then Download borrowed audiobooks and listen to them using