Need inspiration & ideas?
10 Books to get you started
Features 35 simple, inexpensive projects that you can make from salvaged and upcycled materials. Many are stackable and easily portable, most can be made in a weekend, and all include instructions for disassembly and disposal when you’re ready to repurpose the materials.
2. Upcycle : 24 sustainable DIY projects / Rebbeca Proctor.
Recreate upcycled designs – step-by-step instructions.
Projects include a clever mat woven from marine rope, a geometric lampshade made of strips of Tetrapak carton, a hanging rail using leftover copper plumbing pipe, a cane chair upcycled as a cross-stitch canvas and many more.
Even the most DIY-shy person will find this book a revelation – step-by-step instructions.
In today’s throwaway culture, Sian Berry sets out to prove that your much-loved items can be given a new lease of life. With chapters covering furniture, kitchenware, electrical goods, textiles and jewellery.
Lavishly illustrated with beautiful photographs.
Pays tribute to furniture, textiles, china, silver, and other accessories, and also shows us how best to preserve, adapt, and arrange them. Includes ideas and recipes for saving old items from the junk pile, preserving and caring, and giving newer things a lived-in feel.
5. Flea market fabulous : designing gorgeous rooms with vintage treasures / Lara Spencer
All it takes is planning, and a little imagination to create beautiful and comfortable homes.
Spencer comes up with a decorating plan; makes a mood board for inspiration; compiles a shopping list; scours flea markets for furniture and accessories; restores, repurposes, and reinvents pieces. Includes before, during, and after photographs.
6. Rachel Ashwell’s shabby chic : treasure hunting & decorating guide / photography by Wynn Miller & Cathy Mogull
Treasure hunting advice and tips for furniture, objects, and decorations. Learn how to exchange mass-produced furniture and home accessories for the unique, and to create comfortable, livable rooms.
7. Thrifty chic : interior style on a shoestring / Liz Bauwens and Alexandra Campbell
How to create a stylish home without spending a fortune.
Give old furniture a new lease of life and bring vintage charm to a room. Finishing touches – china and ceramics, glassware, paintings and frames, fabrics and trims-are covered in detail.
8. Fleamarket chic : the thrifty way to create a stylish home / Liz Bauwens and Alexandra Campbell
9. Bazaar style : decorating with market and vintage finds / Selina Lake
Create a beautiful home combining vintage, retro and flea-market finds.
Shows homes furnished with intriguing pieces from different eras and cultures, which mix and match colours, patterns and design. Discover a wonderful mix of vintage and retro influences, flea-market finds.
10. Upcyclist : reclaimed and remade furniture, lighting and interiors / Antonia Edwards.
Transform seemingly low value items into something new.